SUMMER THEATER - VARNA, BULGARIA

I have written very little about myself in this blog, since it is more about the things I work with and experience, rather than about me as a person, but in this post there are a few things worth mentioning. I am originally from Bulgaria (more specifically, Varna, Bulgaria), and almost every summer, I travel down there to visit my relatives. Architecturally speaking, I am left deeply unsatisfied and disappointed every time I visit Varna - The new buildings especially are disappointing. But this year, for the first time ever I actually found a building I actually like! (These comments are not pointed towards older, historic Bulgarian architecture, which is most interesting and even beautiful - but unfortunately in great decay due to a lack of renovation fundings from the state)


Unfortunately, this above picture is the only one I could find, and I didn't bring a camera while there. It is actually by coincidence that I ever visited the theater - I was invited by my family to see a performance one night. And I have to admit, I spent little time admiring the performance, but rather the outdoor theater instead! The stage is so simple, as is the "background" - the walls - behind it. The concrete columns give a modern reference to the classical amphitheaters of ancient Greece and Rome, and the layout of the stage and scene allow it to be used for almost any type of theatrical performance, without the need for curtains and such. Despite all its simplicity, the green walls and the surrounding trees give the stage a fresh look, that is in complete harmony with nature. Also, the leaves and trees themselves strongly define the boundries of the theater, and create a fantastic, natural accustic atmosphere. Rarely have I seen Soviet-era architecture create such a strong and natural room, but this example is nothing short of fantastic

Unfortunately, I haven't succeeded in finding any further references to this theater, but with a bit of luck and a while on google, there might just be some hidden material.

- Andy Minchev